Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Neighborhood Hirakata

Currently I reside in Higashiyama with my homestay family.  Right across from our house is a park that is used very regulary, especially on the weekends.  I would just have to walk to the nearby corner, twenty feet away and await for the signal to turn green for me.  Once I cross the street, I am right in the park.  Typically, when I'm coming home from class I see junior high and high school kids practicing either baseball or soccer.  Below is a picture of one of the fields that gets used for practices as well as games.







  Then there are the families that take thier little children or pets and let them roam around the park to let out some energy.  On the weekends though, the park gets especially busy.  My window would be open and I could always hear the boys yell and do their chants as they run thier laps around the park.  This occasionally gets pretty annoying when I have to study.  A five minute walk from my house is an onsen.  Every night people flock to the onsen to relax, more so on the weekends.  Then there are the rice fields.  There are several big plots of rice fields that are intertwined in Higashiyama.  Below is a picture of the big rice field that is about three minutes away from my house by bicycle.  Almost every morning I see one or two people tending the fields.  Seeing these rice fields everyday reminds me of when I was younger when I lived in Aomori prefecture because I lived next to rice farms.



1 comment:

  1. Is your first picture of a public park or of a high school or junior high school practice field?

    I think the exploration of a local park is a very appropriate theme to investigate your neighborhood. But just when you are getting into it, you quickly change subjects - onsen, rice fields... And then you abruptly end (like you did in your first post).

    I would really like to read more about the dynamics of your local park. Quality is valued over quantity in these posts. And while it is important to be brief in blogs, the anthropological nature of this assignment calls for more descriptions than I am seeing here. This assignment is a challenge which I am confident you can take up and be more successful with in future posts.

    ReplyDelete